Jose Batistuta: “Why I hate America” / Jose Batistuta: “Proc nenavidim Ameriku” Jose Batistuta: "Why I hate America" | Czechmatediary

Jose Batistuta: “Why I hate America” / Jose Batistuta: “Proc nenavidim Ameriku”

Jose BatuistaHere is a great post from Jose Batistuta, a blogger for a local Czech on-line newspaper (my translation):

Jose Batistuta: ‘Every other Czech hates America although he has never been there. Their opinion is straight forward: America sucks! And that’s when I remembered that I also hate America and here is why:

I hate America because it’s inhabited by beautiful, proactive and productive people, who tend to overflow with good humor, great inventiveness and – most of all – with a strong self-esteem. These people came from all over the world, they left behind their homes in order to give their children better life.

I hate America because it was built on mistakes of Europe. It guarantees freedom to all.

I hate America because I live in dingy one-bedroom apartment on a 5th floor of a commie building we call ‘panelak’, surrounded by neurotic neighbors, who complain about every step I make. When you ask an American why does he have a 6 bedroom, 6 bathroom and 2 kitchen house surrounded by a edge-dissapearing pool and palm trees, he smiles and answers: Why not?

I hate America, because it gave us many things that we cannot live without. Even the frickin’ Internet was invented there!

I hate America because it gave us Mc Donnalds – restaurants which serve unhealthy food. I hate America because every time I go by it’s crowded up to the roof, not by Americans but by Czechs.

I hate America because it clothes us. Yes, I wear jeans Levis and a T-shirt with some american slogan on it.

I hate America because Americans drive huge cars with AC and power steering, which eat ten times more gas than my  mini Peugot beater car.

I hate America because in America you find endless beaches, dry prairies, dreamy mountains, sandy deserts, beautiful nature and fantastic skiing…and fishing.

I hate America because it stuffs its culture up our throats: we listen to American music, we watch American sit comes and we pay to see American movies in the movie theatres. Although we dislike all of this, we keep consuming these products.

I hate America because it has the worse schools in the world: Harvard, Yale, MIT, Stanford, Columbia, Princeton. Even that dummy Albert Einstein didn’t have any other place to teach his funny business but at Princeton. Anyone who graduates from these schools gets hired by the biggest corporations in the world and makes millions of dollars. And what about the Czech people? When the opportunity arises all of a sudden Czech people would love to study in America.

I hate America because I don’t understand it. It’s hidden somewhere on the other side of the world. It’s way too far which adds to it’s mystic qualities.

That’s why I hate America….

And last but not least, I hate America, because it goes to the war for all of us in order for us to have food on the table and so we could live comfortably; so that would not need to be afraid of another Hitler, Stalin, Hussein, Pol Pot or other psycho leaders.

America takes care of us so we can wake up in the morning, kiss our wife and kids and peacefully leave for work.

That’s why I hate America!’

CZ: Originalni cesky clanek je zde (kliknete zde)

{ 75 comments… read them below or add one }

Jan Chlumsky March 29, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Sara, I am baby boomer and I lived in Prague during the WW2 and 22 years after. I remember the “bombings” as you say. They were ment for industrial factories and life lines of GermanWehrmacht. I do not know about any extensive bombing of residential districts as you say. Yes, Dresden and Polish Warsava were destroyed. Dresden by Americans, to get German population message to stop the masochistic fighting, Warsava by Germans because Polish people resisted to be occupied. On the end of war, Russian army stalled moving forward, waiting for Germans to finish the job of killing the Warsaw’s uprising and destroying what was left from Warsava at that time. Stalin did not like “Polaks” for their resisting nature and did not feel well about his splitting of Poland half and half with Hitler at the beginning of the war. Czechs? They cooperated with Germans and after the war again with Russian communists and there was no excessive bombing of residential parts of Czech cities as far as I know.
Now about “Panelaks” They were build by communist regime to show growing polulation that their beautiful ideology works. Panelaks were NOT temporary housing, people still live in them. My brother lives in my unit some 45 years now. They were inferior quality apartmenthouses and still are, for young people who had no choice if they wanted live apart from their parents. Holes in walls between panels plugged by ciment, cold beton walls just painted white, no soundproofing, “jadra” (kitchen, bath and toilettes) made of thin sheets (papundekl), so one could hear what people bellow and above were talking about, exactly as Jose describes. But at least, we had something. It was caused by communist regime, not by our bad choices. I was in this situation and I prfectly know, what Jose is talking about. People had to pay 40-50 monthly sallaries for the apartments before the condo company even started to build. For that money we got just blueprints of our future apartment and promise… Waiting lists were discussed on meetings and if you were not social case, you had 10 sometimes 20 years ahead of you to wait to get a small apartment to live in with your old disabled mother (real example). People there are still living in these buildings, paying for added exterior insulation (zateplovani), spending money for renovations of their apartments and trying to get some decent living out of it. People park their cars on streets blocking one another, not ingaging hand brakes or speed shift, so the car can be pushed a side to gain room for other driver to leave (Praha sidliste Prosek). And everybody’s happy, saying we have it bad here. Czechs are snobish population hating and criticizing anybody who is not in the same shit as they are, or who got the guts to leave their “vlast” and let them suffer alone under the communist regime. They pretend to be the most sofisticated, smart and inteligent creatures on the Earth. In States people live as they wish or as their abilities are (Zdenek’s case). For Czechs to live in trailer or small run down house is out of question. They call american houses “chaty”, because they are not build thick walls, brick and beton as in Europe and they do not mind to pay crazy koherent sums to heat these thick walls monsters. I like Amerika because there is less pretending and everyone has the same chances. If you are lazy, live from pay check to pay check, do not save, do not think ahead or simply do not care, you live as you live. I know Americans living in old school bus isolated by stocks of straws and being perfectly happy.
By “dressing us” Jose mean Czechs being crazy to wear the same stuff Americans do. Nike, Wranglers, Addidas, Roots, nevermind where or whom it was manufactured. Sometimes illegally by Prague’s vietnameese immigrants, taking advantage of Czech stupidity.
Btw Zdenek, Czechs must have a lot of optimism judging by what they voted for president just recently. And you better believe the suicides are picking up, hopelessnes and lack of positive attitude being main reason for it. Personally, I am sorry for them, but happy for not having to live there.
Lastly, Jose wrote this article with good chunk of sarcasm but also with lot of good smart observation. I think his article is perfest picture of the mood in Czech Republic. It is stupid to dig in it and blame him for not telling the truth about Amerika. It seems to me he mean more to give inside wiev to the Czech way of thinking. Generally he is right. I had excellent time to read it some time ago and I enjoyd it again now.

Sarah March 29, 2013 at 2:34 pm

The bombs might have been intended for the factories but none were hit. The buildings that were destroyed or extensively damaged were houses and historical buildings.

Just because people still live in the buildings, doesn’t mean that their original purpose wasn’t a quick-fix. They were built with a “collectivist” idea, but also as a cheap remedy to the housing shortage. Similar buildings were built everywhere, including the US.

You like America because there’s less pretending? This is one of the reasons I like Czechs. When do you hear two Czechs doing the hi-how-are-you-great-thanks-how-are-you-great thing?

And what you said about clothing – Adidas is German, and Roots is Canadian. How many Americans are dressed in European fashions?

And lastly, I think you have a terrible opinion of the Czech Republic and of Czech people, and I feel sorry for you that you have no pride in your home country (if you are Czech that is). You can say that it’s because of your experience, but I haven’t found any evidence to support what you say in all the time I’ve lived here.

Simone March 29, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Sarah,

You are absolutely right. What makes me really sad is how immigrant Czechs in the US do nothing but throw trash on their ex-country. I don’t see Germans or French living in the US doing that. Or the Irish for that matter. And believe me I use to work for Siemens and other international companies so I know. We should be proud of where we came from. The Czechs have accomplished much in their history and have risen from the ashes of communism in a grand way ( not perfect) put still in many ways admirable. Bad mouthing your country of origin does no favors to anyone, especially yourself. It certainly doesn’t make anyone admire you. Be proud of the Czechs and perhaps then the world will take notice. You should all read Madeleine Albright’s
book ” Prague Winter”. If she could be appreciative her heritage and still live in America so should all of you hard critics!!!!!

Jan Chlumsky March 29, 2013 at 5:11 pm

No, u náas na Pankráci žádné budovy Američani nezničili. Howgh.
Paneláky podle mne nebyly temporary. Prozatímní je pro mne prozatímní, a jestli pro tebe temporary znamená 60 roků, tak asi máme rozdílný pohled na prozatímnost.
Když na How are you odpovíš I am sick and miserable, nebo I just lost my job, a zjistíš, ze to toho Amíka ale v§bec nezajímá, I consider it to be honestly strait forward explanation,that he is not interested in your problems. Dobrý den je hezké, ale já na to začínám byt alergický, protože to říkaji i reportéři členům vláy, o kterých se ví, že kradou. To je víc pretending and dishonest než to zdejší How are you. Tady alespoň člověk ví, na čem je. Němci nás měli za neprincipielní špínu a mně se zdá, že nebyli tak daleko od pravdy. Dále: Adidas, Roots, or the others, mně je značkovost úplně šuma fuk, a tak se nezlob. Sarko, bazíruješ na volovinách. Oba víme, ze valná většina Čechů má ráda západní zboží a rádi se tím drahým cizím peřím chlubí. Není to jejich vina, vycvičil je v tom nedostatek za komunismu, ale stále to v nich je.
Sorry se pro mne cítit nemusíš, ano, já a nejenom já, mám velice špatné zkušenosti s Čechy a slušných bych tam na prstech spočítal. Někdy mám dojem, že ti slušní tam již všichni vymřeli. Hrozně mi vadí to, že když se tam dám do řeči s nějakým hodným stařečkem na ulici, najednou mne napadne, že vlastně nevím, jestli ten hodný stařík na penzi nebyl jedním z těch, kteří ve svých mladých svalnatých letech vytloukali nevinným lidem na STB při výslechu zuby. A nerozumím Ti, že alespoň tohle Ti nevadí. To zamíchání příslušníků mezi lidi vám tam zavedl Havel a skoro celý ten Tvůj vysněný národ mu přitom chodí plakat na hrob. Není něco špatného s tím národem, že mu tyhle věci nedocházejí? Podle mne to je neprincipielnost. Za další, ještě jsem nepotkal jednoho jediného emigranta, kterého by v Česku neokradli, známí či neznámí, počítaje v to i vlastní rodinu. My jsme tu boháči, peníze nám tu rostou na stromech a máme tudíž dávat dávat a zase dávat. A běda, když přestaneme. Podle mne je to národ lidí, nasáklých komunizmem a nenávistí k těm, kteří si troufli riskovat nepohodu a utekli, zatím co oni trpěli pod jhem komunismu. A já jim toho ožralku komunistu co si ho tam zvolili, docela přeji. Ten národ má co si zaslouží. You are right, I really have no pride in the country. I realized it when the kommunist Klaus took the pen and then the country voted for Zeman, whom this thief supported.
OK Sara. You are happy there, I am happy here. Why do I still think I’m better off? Let’s leave it as it is. Žij si dobře, ať Ti to tam doma nějak vyjde, když v to tak hezky vlastenecky veříš.

Michael March 29, 2013 at 5:28 pm

First of all – the comment that every other Czech hates America is nonsense and not very smart.
Some Czechs look up to America and some have reserved feelings about this nation. Nothing unusual or abnormal. The group of people liking the US way of life were most likely never living there and are strongly influenced by the “American Dream” exported since late eighteen hundreds. More reserved, less naïve and also better educated people are capable of developing a more critical and real judgment. These people cannot be easily deceived and are very able to come to a logical conclusion based on facts.
I’d like to thank Zdenek, Simone and Sarah for their intelligent and factual summaries in their articles and I am really feeling sorry especially for Zdenek that he has to defend simple logic against primitive statements, propaganda and half truths conveyed by not very enlightened and smart individuals. I lived in the US for more than twelve years and I know this country well. I was in a managing position for many years with six digit salary and did effort a four bedroom home (one kitchen only Jose) which was first of all unnecessarily big and also too expensive even for my salary. I have received a hospital bill for $1600 for ½ hour treatment consisting of “gluing” my child’s 3mm (~1/8” ) cut next to his eyebrow with surgical “crazy glue”. I saw the paperwork requirements, the restrictions and the grotesque amount of unemployment payment the government offers in case you get fired for no reason without warning.
Some had suggested that the initial “Jose’s “ article is supposed to be funny or humorous. No – it was very sad but on the other hand – some people are happy living in a delusional world and it helps them to overcome obstacles.
The US as any other country in our world has to deal with problems, contributes with some admirable achievements and also some fateful actions and mistakes. Big countries are making big contributions and big mistakes. Small countries are not less or more important but they do not have a big impact on the rest of the world. A critical view is not a sign of hate but a first step on a way to better the circumstances and life for next generations. I wish American main stream media would stop comparing US healthcare with Canada or GB. Why not Germany, Sweden or France? I lived in Germany for more than a decade and enjoyed and contributed to their social safety system. Take Germany as an example with their up to six weeks 100% paid sick days, thirty days paid vacation with 50% monthly salary on top of it as vacation many!

Vlastimil March 29, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Madeleine albright actually was hiding her true heritage many years

Jan Chlumsky March 29, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Simeone, You dont see trash throwin with Germans, French or Irish, because they are very different from us. So, Czechs rizen from ashes of kommunizm in what way? Grand way? Don’t you know, that Czech republic is the only european country, where Kommunists not only survived, but live, thrive and grow back to the top party in government? . Is this the Grand way of rizing you talk about? The country is bedmouthed by itself and by any representative the nation produces. Josef Masin said …without the first Vaclav there wouldn’t be the other and now the third one. I love my country, but not this corrupted dishonest paskvil which last 23 years produced. Madeline Albright was Jewish lady, so she had more reasons and ties to our land. She was Demokrat and good friend of Havel and I have my own feelings about that. There is few interesting YouTubes and articles on Madelaine in different light then you see her. Believe me, she is not really the best example…

Zdenek March 29, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Jan Chlumsky: So you’re baby boomer huh? And you remember WWII huh? Dear sir, you’re full of s**t.
Looks to me that you are the one with bitterness and anger issue.
Of course you’re happy where you are. You live in CANADA! Why you’re singing praise on America?
Come live here to your “dreamland” US of A numbnuts. If you’re really baby boomer (and remember WWII LOL), you’re just around 70 now. Let me know how much was your first medical bill. Let me know how much was your prostate or heart surgery. Although you should start with brain transplant.
You sound like avid FOX watcher and Limbaugh listener. A few facts skewed beyond recognition surrounded by bunch of half-truths and blatant lies.
I bet you are racist too. You don’t like Obama? He’s not even your president. Why do you care? Dude, what’s wrong with you? You calling Klaus a communist? You must be completely out of your mind.
Less pretending in America? You’re nuts.
Everyone has equal chances in America? Either you live in an alternate universe or you know America from movies and Fox. Try to tell the black dude from projects (if you even know what projects are) that he has an equal chance and equal opportunity as some white dude who was lucky enough to be born in rich family on suburbs.
Don’t even try to tell me that those blacks people from projects are impoverished by their choice!
Don’t even try to tell me that they have equal chances to get to Yale or Princeton like somebody born with silver spoon in mouth.
Yeah there IS equality here for sure. Poor people are equally screwed. It takes EXCEPTIONAL person to get out of that vicious circle of poverty.
I bet you think poor people are leeches and suck this country dry. Oooh I SO wish to see you trying to live on what they have to live on. Try it for a month I dare you!
Sure there are some folks taking advantage of the system. They are in every country.

Thank you Sarah, thank you Simone. At least two people who actually use their brains.

Vlastimil March 29, 2013 at 6:27 pm

What I like about USA is that if I don’t like it here, I can leave and nobody will shoot me in the back

Zdenek March 29, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Vlastimil: What does this last masterpiece of yours even mean?

Jan Chlumsky March 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Wow Vlastimil, you seem to be the only sober guy here. Yes, to leave US could be solution for some people here. To be honest, with Zdenek and Michael, I feel like in company of two drunks, one showing his matematical brightness in calculating my age and calling me racist and dude while talking like totaly drunk, and the other crying over 16 hundred bill for a doctor, lived such a short time in US, achieved such goodies like 6 digit sallary an despite that, moved to German socialistic heaven and remained in socialistic mood forever. Hej guys, you win. I give up. Go sleep like me. I promis not to irritate you anymore. Tania, I thank you for giving oportunity to all previous inteligent people to discuss this topic. It was very interesting and funny. Jan.

Zdenek March 29, 2013 at 8:05 pm

At least one of us didn’t forget to count. I bet you are so not used to think, you assume nobody does and will check your “facts” .
WWII ended 68 years ago. If you “remember” the bombings, you must be older than 68. Unless you are one of “them” people who remember how uterus looks from inside.

Calling you racist is my educated generalization based on personal experience. Because I know many conservatives and ALL of them are racists, henceforth you most likely are racist too.
You hating Obama only confirms my extrapolation.

keith March 29, 2013 at 10:00 pm

zdenek – I am a conservative, I love MLK, Thomas Sowell ( I bet you have no idea who he is), Jimi Hendrix, and Mia Love, and as much as I despise Obama, I was proud and teary eyed the day he was elected (although I did not vote for him) seeing how far my country had come from the dark days of slavery. Am I a racist?

Zdenek March 30, 2013 at 2:44 am

Keith: To answer your question, the fact that you like some black people who happen to be republican nutjobs doesn’t necessarily mean you aren’t a racist.
Btw, the fact you love THIS kind of people (Love wants to defund special education in public schools and the National school lunch program and Sowell compares Obama to Hitler) tells me everything I need to know about your political views and what kind of person you are. I have no desire to engage in any further conversation with you.
Have a nice day.

Vlastimil March 30, 2013 at 8:16 am

Let’s summarize it: Whoever dislikes black democrats is definitely a racist… Whoever likes black republicans may be a rasist (because he dislikes black democrats). Whoever likes white republicans must be definitely white power freak. Whoever dislikes white democrats, may be a rasist….

BTW, what is so bad about living in Canada and liking USA? Are we not friends now? I know, there is more socialism in Canada than USA but hey, Obama is going that direction.,, soon we will be a big happy family .
When an Eskymo becomes a president , then it will be legal to eat small children …. Of course, those well off white kids will not be eaten…. after eliminating those kids, the menu will get really scary

keith March 30, 2013 at 10:03 am

zdenek – it appears your intellectual abilities are that of a five year old so I will proceed to treat you like one.

Your response is so utterly typical of a left wing liberal idiot. You can’t handle the true exchange of ideas so you polarize, demonize and then walk away from any potential conversation. You are a totalitarian, fascist, thick headed moron of the infinitely highest order. You have no desire to engage in any conversation because you cannot handle a conversation that would actually cause you to use your brain or God forbid, actually challenge your views or perceptions.

Continue to live in your intellectually deficient bubble my friend. Surround yourself only with those you agree with and demonize those with different views than yours. And walk away from any real conversation because it might challenge your narrow minded intolerant views. And good luck in life.

And for the record, I don’t normally resort to invective in this type of discourse but because of your response, it is painfully obvious that any logical conversation is not possible with such a simple mind.

Zdenek March 30, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Vlastimil: Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Keith; Whatever dude.

Vlastimil March 31, 2013 at 3:27 am

Zdenek: Anton Cechov was a famous Russian satirist…. You should read some of his books, then maybe you would understand my satire…I read his books in original Russian, that’s why I am so good

Zdenek March 31, 2013 at 3:29 am

:facepalm:

Vlastimil March 31, 2013 at 3:41 am

Zdenek: example of political satire of Stephen Colbert:
“Tomorrow you’re all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. Where tax-and-spend Democrats take all your hard-earned money and use it to buy electric cars for National Public Radio, and teach evolution to illegal immigrants. Oh, and everybody’s high!”

BTW, Colbert is an Idiot

Vlastimil March 31, 2013 at 3:43 am

regarding the :facepalm: :
A group of mandrills at the Colchester Zoo has adopted a similar gesture to signal the desire to avoid social interaction or to be left alone

Martin April 2, 2013 at 8:40 am

Tanja – you’ve stirred it up, baby :) 71 comments ! Going through the writings, one can’t help noticing that the Left just never had a sense of humor, and never will. On the other hand – Keith, Jan and Vlastimil, should you get bored sometime, visit my pages about USA – if you read Czech, that is :) Too bad that Jose’s blog seems abandonded.

Zdenek April 2, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Yeah. Left just never had a sense of humor, and never will. That must be why vast majority if not all comedians are liberals.
Another numbnuts. Get together and have a party.

Martin April 2, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Zdenda, grow up. If you can’t get past name-calling, you’re not ready to debate yet. And your Marxist rants are not exactly some new ground – every U.S. college is full of it :)

Zdenek April 3, 2013 at 2:21 am

I hope you realize what you’ve just proven. Educated people think left, numbnuts right. Bigger numbnuts = louder republican.
Btw, you people can’t discuss. I’ve written many arguments and points which virtually none was even disputed leave alone rebuked. All you can do is patting your comrades backs and continue telling lies and personal attacks. What I’m doing lately is using your own medicine against you because you are non responsive to logic and facts.