chlebicky chlebicky | Czechmatediary

Favorite Czech party food: Chlebicky / Oblibeny cesky aperitiv: Chlebicky

If you dare to pronounce that “C” word (or rather the “CH” word as “CH” is an actual letter in the Czech alphabet)  in front of a Czech/Slovak person you will probably witness an immediate “Pavlov-dogs” reaction, meaning that after just a few seconds their mouth will begin to water profusely, they may also start to drool really bad. Why? Because what a good cheeseburger means to an American, chlebicky are to  a Czech. Chlebicky are Czech-style, open-faced sandwiches, but more exciting than the traditional American sandwich. What do you find in a sandwich? Ham, cheese, slice of tomato, and a peace of lettuce – very exciting, indeed (not!)! But chlebicky can be topped with pretty much anything under the sun…no strict rules there! There is however the traditional variation on this recipe which I will be presenting today:

Basic Ingredients:

• 1 Sliced French Bread/Baguette

Spread (pick any of these options)

PS: to make the Egg spread: Mix together following diced up ingredients: 4 hard-boiled eggs, fresh chives, about 3 slices of ham, and about 2 Tbs of mayonnaise; season with salt and pepper.

Toppings (you don’t have to use all of them)

• 1/4 lb sliced up ham, turkey of chicken
  • 1/4 lb sliced hard salami
  • 1/4 lb sliced cheese (Swiss, Jack, Provolone..)
  • sliced sweet pickles (cut them up lengthwise)
  • ~ 4 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
  • Seasonings: paprika, parsley

Method:

1. Top every slice of bread with a spread of your choice ; IMPORTANT: lay it on thick with a fork or a spoon – do not try to press the spread down, leave it on nice and fluffy)
  2. Top with 1 slice each of the toppings listed above
  3. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley
  4. And let the party begin!

PS: By the way,this is a really good Czech cookbook:

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Sue September 16, 2008 at 11:36 am

chlebicky rocks my world!! Thanks for the recipe!! I crave these things when I’m drinking :)

Tanja September 16, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Sure! And they are supposed to be a party food after all…;)

Jana October 5, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Tanja, thanks for the cool webpages. Can you educate me a bit on flour types in US? Does the “hruba mouka” exist here? Or “polohruba”?. I made babovka with the all purpose flour, it isn’t the best result though. Diky!

Tanja October 6, 2008 at 12:11 am

Ahoj Jano,

Unfortunately, I wont’ be able to help you much with that :( I just usually bake with the all-purpose flour like what you do…However,I can give you a number of a bakery which can ship you any kind of flour you like!

Ahoj Jano,

tak s tim ti bohuzel taky nepomuzu :( Delam to samy jako ty – pouzivam na vsechno “all-purpose flour”. Jestli ale chces, muzu ti dat cislo na lidi/pekarstvi, ktery posilaji postou vsechny druhy mouky, na ktery si jen vzpomenes!

Jana October 6, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Ok, why not! I was also told to check healthy food shops, so that is a mission for this week Not that I’m eager to bake something really soon, but I’m sure you know the excitement of discovering known stuff ; ) Thanks !

Tanja October 6, 2008 at 11:13 pm

Ahoj Jano,

v jakem state zijes? Mam tu spoustu cisel, tak abych mohla vybrat to spravne…Dik!

In what state do you live so that I know which bakery phone number to pick…Thanks!

Jana October 22, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Ahoj, sorry I took long – Kansas, 66502, centre of the USA ;)

Tanja October 25, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Ahoj Jano,

tak ja jsem ted tu knizku samozrejmne pujcila jedne kamaradce, tak to z ni musim vypacit. Tak vydrz.

Kamila March 19, 2009 at 8:51 am

Hi,
I’m sure you’ve already figured out the flour situation but I find any cake flour works well with a “babovka”. For instance:

Swans Down Bleached Cake Flour

Charlie June 19, 2009 at 10:15 am

This is really late. You may find more information at http://www.bhg.com/recipes/flour/

I have a question though – I live in the Czech Republic and need to find a CAKE flour. Should I use Hruba or Polohruba? I use Hladka for brownies so it is not what I’m looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tanja June 19, 2009 at 11:07 am

Hi Charlie,

I am not sure about this myself but I will ask around for you!! Hang on…

Fanda February 18, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Jano, try using “Wondra” flour in it should be in all supermarkets, atleast is in NYC, comes in a blue container or blue paper bag.
Cau, F