10 things in America that are better than in the Czech Republic (part I)10 things in America that are better than in the Czech Republic | Czechmatediary
≡ Menu

10 things in America that are better than in the Czech Republic (part I)

All-you-can-eat buffets (I still can’t believe it!!)
• cheap clothing (love Target)
• People’s positive attitude
• Bridal/baby showers
• Option of going to school until you are 100 years old
• Free water and bread and butter in restaurants
• Food to go (dogie bags)
• Free soda refills
• Widespread use of deodorants
• Teachers at school actually build you up rather than tear you down

What would you add? How would your top 10 list look like?

65 comments… add one
  • MariKa May 6, 2011, 10:13 am

That is exactly what I am NOT doing – thinking ‘black and white’
    I’ma Buddhist, middle way, taking each individual situation, person, experience and news in with a balanced view of opposing information.
    Living duality with a balanced way in the middle.
    Not to pass judgement by generalizing, even for the ‘most part’.
    Instead, living off personal experiences in all aspects. That is why I told KatkafromAmerika to forget what she reads and head over to Bohemia.
    Thinking ‘black and white’ means saying for the ‘most part.’ For the ‘most part’ all pitt bulls bite? No, but they tend to be the breed that is mostly victimized by human dog fighters and abusers and LIKE ANY ANIMAL OR HUMAN WOULD can be made agressive or defensive. Circumstaces create life, hence you can’t generalize, even by using words like ‘for the most part’.

• Katka May 6, 2011, 11:55 am

Saying one can never generalize is thinking “black n white”. Of course we all know that a generalization means that it’s just that, a generalization and obviously doesn’t apply to everyone. But those who can think outside the box can appreciate that generalizations do exists and they exist for a reason, because they are “for the most part” true. It’s those who can only think in black in white that have to reject all generalizations because they are not true for every circumstance and every person. Btw, I am katkazameriky I dont’ know why sometimes it shows up as Katka and sometimes it shows up as katkazamerky – perhaps it depends on which computer I’m using, I don’t sign in or anything, it’s already signed in when I get to the site. *shruggs shoulders*

• MariKa May 6, 2011, 2:37 pm

I can think outside the box just fine.

FYI – just to clear up what black and white thinking means:
    A false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, the either-or fallacy, fallacy of false choice, black-and-white thinking or the fallacy of exhaustive hypotheses) is a type of logical fallacy that involves a situation in which only two alternatives are considered, when in fact there are additional options.

FINDING A MIDDLE WAY between two extremes is my way. Hope that is clear now. I acknowledge there are extremes, but I CHOSE to see a road between them.

• Vlastimil May 6, 2011, 4:09 pm

I think generalization works quite well. And there are exceptions. That’s why they are exceptions.
    For example people say, that most green people are criminals and most blue people are good people…
    Well, there are exceptions, and some green people can be really good people, and some blue people can be real assholes. Each country, nation, ethnic group has some signs that we can generally say they are true.
    There are certain characteristics. Tigers are usually not friendly animals, black bears , for example, are not as unfriendly as tigers.

• MariKa May 6, 2011, 5:03 pm

Tell that to the Seuss family who raised Bart (Ledgend of the Fall, the Bear) and Tank ( Dr. Doolittle )
    every animal is capable of being a pussycat and being a killer, that all depends on the environment and it’s the same reason why you can’t throw ANYONE in a bag (or a pytel, if you will) and assume that things are only black and why. They’re not. The gray area of life is hard, it’s something you need to make yourself available for and open to and when you do, you finally get to know people and animals for that matter as individuals not as labels, that is why I have friends republicans, democrats or liberals, because to me those are nothing more than labels.

As for your little IQ test type riddle :PPP

If most green people are criminals and most blue people are good people, and some green people are blue people, would you say that blue people are criminals?

• MariKa May 6, 2011, 5:16 pm

Tell that to the Seuss family who raised Bart the Bear (Ledgend of the Fall) and Tank ( Dr. Doolittle)!
    ANY creature can become a pussycat if shown love. Love teaches love.
    Now you got me sounding like a hippie :PPP , but damn straight!

It’s when you can see past labels that you get to know people (and animals for that matter) as individuals.
    There is nothing worse than throwing people into a bag – that is how prejudice grows.
    I hope I am not misunderstood here, it would truly make me sad to not want to return.
    I have grown to like this group, but sometimes, pointless arguments drain me.

As for your cute little IQ test type riddle:PP

If most green people are criminals and most blue people are good people, and green people are also blue people would you say blue people are criminals?

• MariKa May 6, 2011, 9:19 pm

that is so funny that both my draft and my actual post, have posted. Interesting to see how I think when I re-think LOL

• Vlastimil May 6, 2011, 9:50 pm

Marika, does it take you 13 minutes to write a discussion post? 😉

• MariKa May 6, 2011, 9:55 pm

Dude do you know how much writing and translation I do? I work from home, so I start a post, then something happens, I get a call, I go to pee pee or my cat cuddles up with me, then I think I posted the damn thang or not and I write it again. Come you on brotha, don’t hurt me like that! 😛
    (Um, that was a joke. Oh wait, you’re Czech, you know.)

• MariKa May 6, 2011, 9:58 pm
  • Vlastimil May 6, 2011, 10:13 pm

If blue people will become green people, yes, then they will inherit attributes of green people.
    And USA is a melting pot of the world. That’s why we Americans are such a rainbow 🙂
    The “melting pot” thing is a double edged sword. One of the possible outcomes will be, that America will be the most interesting country to live in unless the balance in the rainbow will be destroyed.
    Did we mention American junk food? I love love it. I love hamburgers, Chinese food to go, fries, donuts, hot dogs …..
    Regarding hot dogs. There goes a story, that 2 East European immigrants just arrived to JFK airport and as they were hungry (they flew with “beep” airline) they decided to buy something to eat.
    Since each of them arrived only with one dollar in their pocket , they could afford only a cheap food to buy. After a cab ride to Central Park, they went to a “food” vendor cart and saw a sign “Hot Dogs”….They saw the price, 50 cents one dog (it was before the depression) and made the choice. Each of them bought their hot dog. They got the serving in a brown bag and walk to a closest bench in the park.
    They took a seat and quite embarrassed looked around. It was the first time in their live they ate a dog.
    One of them opened the bag and quite scared asked the other guy: “What kind of part of dog did you get?” 😉

• Vlastimil May 6, 2011, 10:16 pm

Marika, thank you for the link. Still I think dogs are hotter 🙂 (just kidding) 😉

• MariKa May 6, 2011, 10:36 pm

Hm, a very predictable joke or suchy humor if you will 😉
    Another thing I miss is Czech Sylvestr – I used to laugh my butt off to some really good jokes.
    But speaking of dogs …

• MariKa May 6, 2011, 11:05 pm
  • USACZ May 7, 2011, 9:17 am

After reading all of the comments I just have to say that, although this is an intersting and fun topic, comparing life in the US to life in the CR is really like comparing apples to oranges. To understand my perspective here is some background on me: my parents are Czech and I was born here in the US. My wife is also Czech and I speak/read/write and have been immersed heavily in the culture. I have spent serveral months (usually summer vacation) in the former Czechoslovakia during communism and also in the CS/CR after the revolution in 1989. Here is why I have concluded that comparing the US (as a whole) to the CR is a futile debate. First of all the CR consists of about 96% Czech ethnicity (Czech, Moravian, Slovak) (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ez.html), there is no such majority enthicity in the US and as such there is a “melting pot” of cultures and norms. Second the population of the CR (~10 million) is equivalent to that of some states in the U.S., much less than say New York or California and minisucule compared to the US (~300 million). The point I am trying to make is that it is very hard to make generalizations of the US as a whole. On the other hand it is somewhat easier to do so when looking at the CR e.g. the weather, culture, norms, etc. Having said all of that, many of the things that people have mentioned in here are the same things that I like or dislike about my life in the US. The beauty is that I can simply fly to the CR occassionaly if it is something that I just can’t live without. Finally, here is my general feeling about the US: The US is the worst place to live with the exception of all other countries.