Crash-course on Czech lullabies / Rychlokurz ceskych ukolebavek Crash-course on Czech lullabies / Rychlokurz ceskych ukolebavek | Czechmatediary

Crash-course on Czech lullabies / Rychlokurz ceskych ukolebavek

lullaby yahoo imageHello everyone/ Nazdar vsichni!

I thought some of us moms – myself included – would like to brush up on Czech lullabies (Ukolebavky) so I went ahead and found some of them. Up till now I personally would usually just remember the first verse/sentece of a particular ukolebavka and then was left with brainless humming or substituting words than not only didn’t rhyme with the rest of the song but they also didn’t make sense (my poor child). Well, today is a new day, new beginning! I did not translate the content into English for one simple reason: I want to keep my sanity (I hope you understand).

CZ: Tak jsem si rikala, ze je na case, abych si oprasila znalosti ceskych ukolebavek. Pamet mi moc neslouzi, coz znamena, ze si vetsinou pamatuji prvni vetu z kazde ukolebavky a pak jsem odsouzena k prostemu broukani, nebo do pisne vlozim vymyslena slova, ktera nejen ze se nerymuji, ale take nedavaji vubec zadny smysl. Jestlize mate ten samy problem, tyto nize uvedena slova vam pomohou problem vyresit:

SPI DETATKO, SPI (SLEEP MY CHILD, SLEEP)

Spi, detatko,spi, zavri ocka svy! Pan Buh bude s tebou spati, andelicci kolebati, spi detatko, spi.

Spi detatko, spi, zamhur ocka svy, az se vzbudis za chvilinku, da ti maminka kasicku, spi detatko, spi.

UKOLEBAVKA (Lullaby)

Spinky, spinky linky, posilam ti dve pusinky, od maminky, od tatinka, at nas maly broucek hezky spinka, at nas maly broucek hezky spinka.

DOBRU NOC, MA MILA (Good night, my sweetie)

Dobru noc, ma mila, dobru noc, nech ti je sam Panboh na pomoc! Dobru noc, dobre spi, nech sa ti snivaju sladke sny.

Dobru noc, ma mila dobru noc, nech je ti sam Panbuh na pomoc! Dobru noc, dobre spi, nech sa ti snivaju o mne sny.

yahoo sleeping baby imageCERNE OCI, JDETE SPAT (Sleep now, dark eyes)

Cerne oci jdete spat, cerne oci jdete spat, vsak musite rano vstat, vsak musite rano vstat.

Rano, Rano, ranicko; rano, rano, ranicko, driv nez vyjde slunicko, driv nez vyjde slunicko.

Slunicko uz vychazi; slunicko uz vychazi, ma mila se prochazi, ma mila se prochazi.

Prochazi se po rynku, prochazi se po rynku, prinesla nam novinku, prinesla nam novinku.

Tu novinku takovou, tu novinku takovou, ze na vojnu verbujou, ze na vojnu verbujou.

Kdyz verbujou, budou brat; kdyz verbujou, budou brat, skoda chlapce na stokrat, skoda chlapce na stokrat.

HALI, BELI (??)

Hali, beli, kone v zeli, a hribatka, v petrzeli. A kravenky jak panenky, sly se koupat do vodenky.

Hali, beli, kocka v zeli, a pes v kosi, on ju strasi. Kocicka se polekala, ven okenkem utikala.

SPINKANI (SLEEPING)

Pinky, pinky, pinkalinky, usnul broucek u maminky. U maminky a tatinka, s nimi se mu nejlip spinka.

SPI, MILACKU, SPI (SLEEP MY SWEETIE, SLEEP)

Spi milacku,spi, zavri ocka svy; dam ti buben a houslicky, nedam te za svet celicky, spi milacku spi.

HAJEJ, SPINKEJ (??)

Hajej, spinkej, batolatko, kolem je tak teplo,sladko.

Uspava te bzukot much, voni trava, voni vzduch.

Vsechno tady odjakziva, kvili tobe voni, zpiva.

HAJEJ, MUJ ANDILKU (SLEEP MY LITTLE ANGEL)

Hajej, muj andilku, hajej a spi, maticka koleba detatko svy; hajej, nynej, dadej, milej! Maticka koliba detakto svy.

Hajej, muj zlatousku, hajej a spi; zamouri malicky ocicka svy; hajej, nynej, dadej, milej! Zamhouri malicky ocicka svy.

USNUL JIZ CELY NAS DUM (OUR WHOLE HOUSE IS ASLEEP)

Usnul jiz cely nas dum, svetelka v oknech sla spat, poplujem v postylkah proti snum, Pan Jezis nas ma rad.

Kraj je jiz zahalen tmou, noci vsak pronika zar, Pan Jezis je hvezdou tou zarivou, co hledi na mou tvar.

Usnula celicka zem, do travy ulehla tma, aj, nespi nedycha Pan Jezis jen, sve deti v peci ma.

SLUNCE ZA HORY (SUN BEHIND THE MOUNTAINS)

Slunce za hory zmizelo v dali, utichli ptaci, usina raj; sedime spolu, sero nas hali, pisnicko zaznej a hudbo hraj.

Zepredu nazad se kolibame, zepredu nazad se kolibem.

Nahoru dolu se kolibame, nahoru dolu se kolibem

Z leva napravo se kolibame, z leva napravo se kolibem

Na vsechny strany se kolibame, na vsechny strany se kolibem.

Source

{ 22 comments… read them below or add one }

Sue June 22, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Did any of these have midi files so we can have the melody to them? Hubby remembers the words, but no melodies :(

Tanja June 22, 2008 at 4:41 pm

that’s the problem! I have been searching and searching for the MP3 downloads and with no luck…..I even looked on Amazon to see if there is a CD that people could buy and with no luck AGAIN!!!
So, unless I personally record it (and believe me, you really don’t want me to) then we are out of luck….I was thinking I could try-out some of my other Czech friends to see if they can sing and they could do the recording…

Tanja June 22, 2008 at 5:00 pm

I may be able to figure something out…

Iva June 23, 2008 at 4:00 am

Taky mame jednu oblibenou – Spi ma mala, spi uz vcelka na medovem polstarku…. je to ted hitovka nasi rodiny, manzel si ji uz taky brouka…

Verunka Vlkova March 25, 2009 at 11:40 am

What about To byla kočka, ta měla očka! I remember singing that with my mother all the time. I LOVE Varila mysicka kasicku, especially with the tickling. It is so cute. I was thinking about recording some Czech lullabies one day. Maybe I will do that in the next year or so, that would be so much fun!

Stacy October 3, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Any luck with finding the tunes to these lullabies? My first child is due in Dec and I would really love to sing him Czech lullabies. I’m a third generation Czech descendent and everyone in my family who would remember the tunes has died.

Tanja October 4, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Hi Stacy, I will try to find them and then post the ones I have, OK? Congrats on your baby!!!

Ester June 10, 2011 at 10:40 am

You can find the melodies of the songs on YouTube. Just enter the name of the lullaby. If you search for “zpivanky” on YouTube you will find short lessons of various Czech songs.

Tanja June 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Ester, thanks I never thought about enter that word in (I guess i was looking for a specific name) and all of my favorite folk songs are there! Can’t wait to show it to may daughter.

Kim May 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm

My grandmother use to sing me a lullaby and all I can remember is we called it “hichi piechi”, I’m sure that’s not the way to spell it but I spelled it phonetically. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Tanja May 15, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Hi Kim,
I think you mean “Hali beli” – check it out here:

Ann May 23, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hi Tanja! Thank you for your interesting blog. I have a question about ukolebavka called Dobru Noc Mi Mila. Is that a Czech song or a Slovak song? (I hope this isn’t an offensive question. No offense is intended!) My great grandmother was born a Slovak in Czechoslovakia and she used to sing this song to my grandmother. I know Czech and Slovak are very close languages, but can you give me any more info? Thanks!

Tanja May 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Hi Ann, that is actually a Moravian song – very similar to Slovak but not quite the same.

kitty December 4, 2012 at 10:28 am

I remember my grandmother would sing us a song about slicing the bread, “kila, kila” is all i can remember and vushala vushala, not spelled correctly i am sure.. would anybody know that one?
thanks

amber December 8, 2012 at 8:44 am

Hello, my name is Amber, I am looking for a song for the grandmother of my kids. Her mom sang it to her and she can’t remember it. I probably can’t spell it right, but I will try…its Hymns seiza, COO coo…that’s all she knows. Does anyone kno what it is?

Tanja December 10, 2012 at 7:51 am

Hi am er, sorry i would need more info:(
Is it a lullaby?

Peg March 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I was actually trying to find the words to a children’s song that includes ‘na panenka do zeli’ (I think… it’s been a LONG time since I’ve heard it.) Do you know this one? It included my mom shaking her finger at me while she sang ‘Tij, tij, tij…. Tij, tij, tij…. Tij, to mus ic platij-tij’ (well… that’s really rough phonetics recalled through a child’s brain from 50 years ago!)

Tanja March 14, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Here are the words:

Sla Nanynka do zeli, do zeli, do zeli,
Natrhala lupeni, lupenicka.

Prisel na ni Pepicek,
Rozslapal ji kosicek,
Ty, ty, ty, ty, ty,ty,
Ty to budes platiti.

Here is a link to a video song:

Hope it will bring you the best memories :))

Pavel March 21, 2013 at 12:56 pm

More or less accidentally I found following two links. One can buy and download the songs piece by piece or the whole CD. These two seems to be relevant to your topic:
You an hear at least piece of each song as sample in advance.
The only disadvantage is … the page is only in czech without possibility to switch language.
To look for Musica Bohemica as interpret is also good option to search for czech folk songs.
enjoy
Pavel

Kathryn September 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I just purchased an antique doll quilt at an estate sale, and on some of the quilt pieces, I have found the words, “S_ SLATCE MLY DITE DOBROU NOC.” Can you help me with the translation? I have figured out the GOOD NIGHT words in the line. Thanks so much, Kathryn

Tanja September 13, 2013 at 10:11 pm

How sweet. It says ‘SPI SLATCE MILY DITE DOBROU NOC.’ which means ‘SLEEP SWEETLY DEAR CHILD, GOOD NIGHT.’

Lenka Lichtenberg February 9, 2014 at 2:36 am

Hi everyone! I am born Czech, living/working in Canada. I just recorded a few lullabies fro my next CD and will be happy to share mp3s Let me know! all the best!