Dill is not a common ingredient in the American kitchen. The Czechs however love to cook with it. And it smells sooo good!!! Dill Gravy is probably the most famous dill recipe from the “Czech pot”. So enjoy!!!
PS: the recipe comes from an old Czech cookbook so bear with my awkward translation at times…
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped dill
- 2 Tbs. of butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups of cold chicken stock
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 6 Tbs. of flour
- 2 Tbs. of vinegar (or lemon juice)
- salt, pepper, sugar
- Make “jiska”:
- melt butter on a pan and add chopped onion; cook until bubbly and onion has a translucent look to it.
- while stirring, gradually add flour and stir for about 30 sec. more, until butter stops bubbling
- Remove from heat
- While stirring, gradually add chicken stock
- simmer for about 15 minutes
- Add in fresh dill and vinegar
- Add sour cream
- Add sugar and salt to taste
- Simmer for 5 more minutes
- Stir in sour cream and simmer for couple more minutes until the sauce gets warm again
Serve over hard-boiled eggs or slow-cooked beef with dumplings or potatoes. Hmmm……….!!!!:)If you liked this post buy me a coffee! (Suggested:$3 a latte $8 for a pound) Thanks!