Another classic Czech recipe…Dill Gravy / Koprova omacka Another classic Czech recipe…Dill Gravy / Koprova omacka | Czechmatediary

Another classic Czech recipe…Dill Gravy / Koprova omacka

dill sauce with poatoes. google image

Dill is not a common ingredient in an American kitchen. Yet the Czechs love to cook with it. And it smells sooo good!!! Dill Gravy is probably the most famous dill recipe from the “Czech pot”. So enjoy!!!

PS: the recipe comes from an old Czech cookbook so bear with my awkward translation at times…

Ingredients:

1. 1/2 cup fresh chopped dill
  2. 2 Tbs. of butter
  3. 1/2 onion, finely chopped
  4. 2 cups of cold chicken stock
  5. 1/2 cup of sour cream
  6. 2 Tbs. of flour
  7. 2 Tbs. of vinegar (or lemon juice)
  8. salt, pepper, sugar to taste

Method:

• Make “jiska”:

• melt butter on a pan and add chopped onion; cook until bubbly and onion has a translucent look to it.

• while stirring, gradually add flour and stir for about 30 sec. more, until butter stops bubbling

• Remove from heat

• While stirring, gradually add chicken stock

• simmer for about 10 minutes

• Add in fresh dill and vinegar

• Add sugar and salt to taste

• Add sour-cream
  • Simmer for 5 more minutes

Serve over hard-boiled eggs and slow-cooked beef with dumplings or potatoes. Hmmm……….!!!!:)

By the way if you are looking for a good Czech cookbook yourself, this is a great one:

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

Karmyn R July 6, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for this great recipe in your archives…. I’m married to a Czech and he was wanting some dill gravy so badly – just like his mom made!

Tanja July 6, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Hi Karmyn,

I just posted a comment on your blog. I hope your recipe turned out tasty! Where are you guys located?

Julia December 11, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Hi! I’ve been searching for a certain Czech soup ever since I had a roommate from the Czech republic. She would make this amazing soup that was creamy with lemon, dill, poached eggs, white vinegar and potatoes in it. I’ve done a lot of internet searching and have found some similar recipes (I think koprováá poléévka or koprovka might be it?) but I haven’t found anything with those exact ingredients. Does that sound like a traditional soup, or maybe something she put together herself? Thanks, you have a very nice website!

Tanja December 11, 2009 at 4:23 pm

Hi Julia, yes it is a traditional Czech soup sometimes also called KULAJDA (or Koprova polevka). But the recipes vary quite often as some people like to add their favorite things. I am planning on posting about the soup pretty soon!

Monica May 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I had a bunch of fresh dill and was searching for a recipe for a “sauce” for new potatoes when I found this recipe. I made this tonight and it was delicious! Not only did it go well with the potatoes, but we drowned our steaks in it!

Tanja May 1, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Hi Monica!
I am glad it worked out for you – try the same sauce on any fish – you will love it as well ;)
Also, if you like dill you will fall in love with “Kulajda” (Dill soup) which is also listed in my ‘recipes’ category.

judy August 25, 2011 at 10:09 am

What happened to the sour cream you have in the list of ingredients?

Tanja August 25, 2011 at 10:25 am

Ups, sorry! I added that sour cream step in.

Jackie September 8, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Do you use apple cider vinegar or white vinegar and in what step do you add the sour cream. I am Czech/Bohemian and my mother would make dill gravy and I really loved it but never paid attention on how to make it. Thank you for your answer and the recipe, can’t wait to try it.

Tanja September 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Hi Jackie, I am sorry! I added the missing sour-cream step. Thanks for pointing that out to me :)

I use whatever vinegar I have on hand, but I think someone in here commented (don’t remember what post) that apple cider vinegar is the most similar to the Czech one. But really, either type will do. Good luck!

Barbara October 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

HI< I would just like to comment on how my mom used to make pickled beef in dill gravy. she would take the rump roast or other less expensive roast and marinate it for 2 or 3 days in pickel juice . she would save dill pickel juice from a couple of jars and when she had enouch to submerge the meat she would start. 50 years ago she could get fresh dill and she also got the pickles and they had actual pieces of dill in the brine. I am sure if a person has the time …they can make pickel brine and let it cool and then put beef in it and refridgerate for the 2. or 3 days. She would take bacon fat and brown the dried off meat in the drippings. When she was happy with browing ..she would take half

Tanja October 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Hi Barbara! That’s a great idea with the pickle juice. Did she use the sweet pickle juice or just salty one?

Joe Siska September 23, 2013 at 6:38 am

I will drive 1000 miles for ‘grass gravy’.
Still my favorite, and I love the fact that my kids enjoy Omachka as much as I did as a child.

If your wondering I reside in Grand Rapids, MI – hint, hint, nod, nod, wink, wink.

Bonnie C. November 10, 2013 at 11:22 am

I’m 100% Czech on both sides of the family (Bohemian), & just happen to be making “Dill Gravy” today. However, in our family (going back to my great grandparents) it was always served over poached chicken (I have a luscious 6-pounder simmering in a pot as I type) & bread dumplings, which I’ll be making in a minute.

As I don’t speak Czech, would love to know the correct name for this dish. Is it “Omachka” as Joe Siska posts above? I know the way my dad says it it sounds phonetically like “Vohmachka” with a “V”.

Tanja November 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Hi Bonnie!

The there are many traditional ways :). But you would definitely not serve it with rice or noodles. Or pork!
In a correct Czech language you would say “Koprova omacka” (pronounced ‘Ohmachka’). Your dad uses the spoken Czech which adds on the additional ‘v’ at the beginning of the word.
Hope that helps :)

Bonnie C. November 12, 2013 at 5:33 am

Thanks Tanja!

Oh goodness – it would be utter sacrilege in our family to serve this over/with anything but Czech bread dumplings (Knedliky). Perish the thought – lol!

Tanja November 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

Haha! Your family taught you well :))
My family always had it with potatoes. That is also acceptable in the eyes of the Czechs :)).

Nadia April 18, 2014 at 11:29 am

I have frozen dill. How much should I use.

Bonnie C. April 20, 2014 at 7:05 am

Nadia – with frozen fresh herbs, use the same amount as you would fresh. It’s only when subbing dry for fresh that the quantities change. But in this case, you’re better off with the frozen, as dried dill tends to have very little flavor. Your frozen should work just fine.